Sonic World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now and forever.

HomeForum RulesPortalLatest imagesSearchArcadeRegisterLog in

What do you look for in a fan-character?

Go down 
+5
angry
Kapus
Rhys the Porcupine
Smash The Echidna
ѦɅЯ☼N
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ѦɅЯ☼N
New Kid
New Kid
ѦɅЯ☼N

Male
Registration date : 2009-11-27
Number of posts : 48
Fun Quote : I wish forums weren't dead.
Warning Level : Warning Points: 0

What do you look for in a fan-character? Empty
PostSubject: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 7:13 am

what attributes should general fan characters have that separates them from recolors?
how extreme should their lives be?
what do you like about them?
Back to top Go down
http://Aaronproductions.deviantart.com
Smash The Echidna
Champion Of The Blitz
Champion Of The Blitz
Smash The Echidna

Male
Registration date : 2008-10-17
Number of posts : 3611
Current Mood : Something.
Fun Quote : I use this site for archiving writing notes and such. If you see me online, that's why.
Warning Level : Warning Points: N/A

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 7:15 am

Moved to the Fanfictions forum.

As for your question, Recolors are basically just coloring over a character that was already designed. If you want them to be different, The least you can do is change their qualities aside from their colors.

I.e: If it were a hedgehog, Change the style of their quills - Shape, Direction, Thickness/Thinness, Length, separate color or pattern, etc.

If it were a fox: Try to refrain from having two or more tails. Tails himself was supposed to be abnormal with his twin tails. Seeing so many other foxes with two or more tails makes it a regular thing almost. Also, Feel free to give him more or less hair on his head. Do something with him to change him from his Tails look besides just taking one of his tails away.

If it were an echidna, Remove the symbol on his chest. The spikes can probably stay since they are like moles, aren't they? Anyway, Change the hair some. And don't leave them with lego shoes. Those are purely Knuckles'.

Those are the main three. Usually if its another species than these main 3, They'll come out a little more original.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Rhys the Porcupine
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Rhys the Porcupine

Male
Registration date : 2010-01-27
Number of posts : 3704
Current Mood : Happy
Fun Quote : I never give up, no matter what happens!

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 5:20 am

Well, i think a fan character has have a different way that they look towards themselves and life. They shouldn't be stronger than Sonic and Shadow. Fan characters could also have their own super forms if their creators decide to give them one. So, that's another way to look at fan characters.
Back to top Go down
https://sonicworld.darkbb.com/forum.htm
Kapus
~Treasure Hunter~
~Treasure Hunter~
Kapus

Female
Number of posts : 3723
Current Mood : Moody
Fun Quote : still don't know what a pinterest is
Warning Level : Kapus is too lame for warning points

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 4:19 am

What do I look for? Oh, quite a few things.

First of, I naturally like characters that are original and interesting. I love characters that are amusing, but not all characters
have to be funny to be good. Speedy the hedgehog's character, Speedy, is a good example of an amusing character that I like.

I detest characters that have any relation to OCs. OC meaning Original Character, of course. Characters that have a relation to an OC include: Being the brother, sister, wife, husband, child, parent, girlfriend, boyfriend, etc. of an OC. Unfortunately, those type of characters seem to be quite common.

Recolors don't bother me as much as they bother most people. Recolors are where most people begin with their FCs, and move upward. Even I began with recolors. Also, not everyone can draw or sprite very well, so when they design new characters by art and not by imagination, they usually start with recolors.

Backstories can be nice. As long as they aren't filled with cliches, I'm good. Some characters are best left with no backstory.
Speedy is another good example of this, and so is Smash.

Abilities. I dislike it when a fancharacter has abilities too close to an OC. For example, a hedgehog having super speed like Sonic.
I like it when characters are more original with their abilities. That also brings me to Super Forms. Not everyone has to have one,
but boy do an abundant amount of FCs have one. More than one even! I've seen FCs with more than 4 super forms. Having more than one Super Form is okay for me, as long as they aren't overpowered or redundant. What do I mean by redundant? Let me give you an example.
Quote :

So and So has 2 Super Forms.
The first is Super So and So. He gains extreme power, super speed, and the ability to fly.
His second one is Mega So and So. He gains more power, he's faster, and can fly better.

So and So's second super form is the same as the first, only stronger. I like Super forms, if there is more than one, to least be unique and interesting.

Personality. The biggest factor to decide whether I like a character or not. Naturally, its hard to come up with an original and interesting personality. It takes quite a while. In all honesty, though, I would choose a character with a stereotypical personality over a boring one.
Boring personalities really kill me. My favorite types are characters with upbeat and goofy personalities, 'cause they're funny and amusing most of the time. I still like other personalities, though. Take Smash for example. He's serious, sarcastic, and down to earth.
The result of this type of personality is amazingly funny and amusing.

Oh dear. I'm rambling. I have seriously gotten carried away with this.
I'd better quit now.
Back to top Go down
angry
Toilet Princess
Toilet Princess
angry

Male
Registration date : 2008-12-16
Number of posts : 3214
Current Mood : See, I might have had a mood. IF, I were just any old dude.
Fun Quote : As if.
Warning Level : Banned

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 12:04 pm

I don't mind recolors as long as they're just a starting point. If you've been making FC's for years and they're still recolors, that's a problem in my book.
Back to top Go down
SuperLightning
~火 FIRE BREATHER 火~
~火 FIRE BREATHER 火~
SuperLightning

Male
Registration date : 2009-05-26
Number of posts : 4098
Current Mood : Why do you need to know? creeper.
Fun Quote : Can't say slaughter without laughter!
Warning Level : Warning Points: 1

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 12:12 pm

all fan chars are recolors from the start. ;D

hm. i really should to a SA1 style pic of Zatic.
Back to top Go down
angry
Toilet Princess
Toilet Princess
angry

Male

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 12:13 pm

Exactly. And as people get better, they will either start making edits, or drawings of their own.
Back to top Go down
sykog
Cantaloupe Muffin
sykog

Male
Registration date : 2008-10-24
Number of posts : 3332
Current Mood : not sure

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 1:29 pm

Zatic The Fire God wrote:

That's not true. I based my characters off of Tails/Ray and Mighty/Shadow, but they were never recolors.
Back to top Go down
http://sykog77.deviantart.com
SuperLightning
~火 FIRE BREATHER 火~
~火 FIRE BREATHER 火~
SuperLightning

Male

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 8:05 pm

sykog77 wrote:

That's not true. I based my characters off of Tails/Ray and Mighty/Shadow, but they were never recolors.

Ah, but i made my first fanchar when i was a young young YOUNG child.
Back to top Go down
Kapus
~Treasure Hunter~
~Treasure Hunter~
Kapus

Female

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 8:55 pm

I made mine when I was like 10.

That was quite some time ago.
Back to top Go down
angry
Toilet Princess
Toilet Princess
angry

Male

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 11:15 am

I don't even remember when I made Speedy. Just by the name, you can tell he was an extremely generic sonic recolor back then. Maybe 7-8... Anyway, he's still around, but he's much better.
Back to top Go down
sykog
Cantaloupe Muffin
sykog

Male

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 12:35 pm

sykog77 wrote:

I made mine when I was 10
Back to top Go down
SuperLightning
~火 FIRE BREATHER 火~
~火 FIRE BREATHER 火~
SuperLightning

Male

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 5:01 am

Speedy The Hedgehog wrote:
I don't even remember when I made Speedy. Just by the name, you can tell he was an extremely generic sonic recolor back then. Maybe 7-8... Anyway, he's still around, but he's much better.

What does he look like now? O-o
Back to top Go down
Kapus
~Treasure Hunter~
~Treasure Hunter~
Kapus

Female

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 12:25 am

sykog77 wrote:

To add to that statement, One of my earliest characters, Gizmo, is a cat. Although I could never get his looks down for anyone to see until MUCH later, He was never a recolor either. You couldn't possibly compare him to Big. And Blaze, not really no.
Back to top Go down
angry
Toilet Princess
Toilet Princess
angry

Male

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 2:23 am

...Smash? What the heck?
Back to top Go down
ѦɅЯ☼N
New Kid
New Kid
ѦɅЯ☼N

Male
Registration date : 2009-11-27
Number of posts : 48
Fun Quote : I wish forums weren't dead.

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 9:03 am

sykog77 wrote:
sykog77 wrote:

I made mine when I was 10

I made mine when I was seven. he was just a fire-colored sonic back then. but even then, I realized that more than one tail was a bad Idea, so I made him a flying squirrel named comet with fire powers. then he became a green hedgehog with short spikes and a coat (LONG before I heard who manic was), later he evolved (metaphorically) into a chinchilla on roller blades, afterwards he regressed back into a red colored tails. after that, he was a white hedgehog with blue tips, who controlled fire. but he was always destined to be red, so I made that his disguise and said that he was on the run from the law, because everyone was too blind to realize he did not look like metal sonic. (this was when I was 10). after that, everything else just kinda developed into its own story, as can be seen here: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/266/e/5/Aaron__my_custom_made_characte_by_WaveysownerAaron.jpg
and here: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs23/f/2008/031/f/6/half_Giftart_for_huski_0_grav__by_WaveysownerAaron.jpg
then here: http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs32/f/2008/226/0/2/Aaron_The_Hybrid_by_AaronTheHybid.jpg
here: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs39/f/2008/342/5/9/__SO_REAL___by_AaronTheHybid.jpg
here: http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs41/f/2009/011/b/f/A_C_Merry_Xmas_by_Aaron_The_Hybrid.jpg
HERE: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs45/f/2009/061/5/5/New_new_Aaron_by_Aaron_The_Hybrid.png
here: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs43/f/2009/108/e/1/medieval_Aaron_TFOSK_by_Aaron_The_Hybrid.png
here: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs45/f/2009/158/b/c/Aaron_reference_by_Aaron_The_Hybrid.png
here: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs49/f/2009/175/6/8/Aaron_3d_by_Aaron_The_Hybrid.png
where Aaron became a flying fish momentarily: http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs30/f/2009/249/0/a/Aaron_cute_new_design_by_Aaron_The_Hybrid.gif
and, finally, here: http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/045/0/b/Aaron__his_wonderful_anatomy_by_Aaron_The_Hybrid.png

dang, he's changed.
Back to top Go down
http://Aaronproductions.deviantart.com
Rhys the Porcupine
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Rhys the Porcupine

Male
Registration date : 2010-01-27
Number of posts : 3704
Current Mood : Happy
Fun Quote : I never give up, no matter what happens!

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 4:18 am

A lot of links.
Back to top Go down
https://sonicworld.darkbb.com/forum.htm
Axiom
Axiom

Male
Registration date : 2009-06-09
Number of posts : 367
Current Mood : ;)
Fun Quote : Ayyy lmao.

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 4:22 am

Hey! Comet is my name. Just Kidding.
Back to top Go down
http://ssst.forumotion.com
Tamy
New Kid
New Kid

Registration date : 2010-02-25
Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 5:11 am

None of my characters were ever even close to recolors really... but that might have been because I was later than all my friends in getting into it. I will admit that on Tamy's creation, she was suppose to be Amy's cousin, but my friends rped in an odd way, so although they played as Amy, Tails, Sonic, and Mina, they didn't act even CLOSE to what they did in any of the games. (Sonic was pretty much a retard, and none of us had ever read a sonic comic, my friend just found a picture of Mina online once and jumped all over it) So yes, though I guess the basis is there, they aren't really sega characters anymore. Everyone kinda of made the characters their own.
Personally when it comes to character creation, to me, theres a heck of a lot of changes you can make to a character, while still keeping to the traditional 'hedgehog' or 'fox' look. I always kind of define them though. Like Hedgehogs have spikes, no hair, and they have connected eyes. Meanwhile foxes have hair, occasionally one bang spike, eyes that don't connect, and fur on their muzzles. I get kind of confused when theres a fox with spikes or a hedgehog with hair, it just doesn't make much sense to me. o.0
Back to top Go down
Smash The Echidna
Champion Of The Blitz
Champion Of The Blitz
Smash The Echidna

Male
Fun Quote : I use this site for archiving writing notes and such. If you see me online, that's why.

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 6:16 am

There's nothing wrong with a hedgehog with hair. As long as it still looks like a hedgehog, it can have whatever hairstyle the creator wants. Atleast that's how I feel. I don't usually give my hedgehog's hair though unless they're female.
Back to top Go down
sykog
Cantaloupe Muffin
sykog

Male

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 7:12 am

Smash The Echidna wrote:
There's nothing wrong with a hedgehog with hair. As long as it still looks like a hedgehog, it can have whatever hairstyle the creator wants. Atleast that's how I feel. I don't usually give my hedgehog's hair though unless they're female.
Amy has hair.
Back to top Go down
Kapus
~Treasure Hunter~
~Treasure Hunter~
Kapus

Female

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 7:16 am

I agree with Smash. I mean, Amy has hair.
Back to top Go down
Tamy
New Kid
New Kid

Registration date : 2010-02-25
Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 7:18 am

o.0 No matter how I look at it. Amy Rose has spikes.
Back to top Go down
sykog
Cantaloupe Muffin
sykog

Male

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 7:19 am

Tamy wrote:
o.0 No matter how I look at it. Amy Rose has spikes.
It's just like Tails, but shorter and fatter. But if you mean hair and in people hair, that does look weird.
Back to top Go down
Smash The Echidna
Champion Of The Blitz
Champion Of The Blitz
Smash The Echidna

Male

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 8:08 am

sykog77 wrote:
Smash The Echidna wrote:
Amy has hair.
My point exactly.

It really depends on the type of hair, I guess. But Like I just said: As Long As They Still Look Like A hedgehog, They're fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you look for in a fan-character?   What do you look for in a fan-character? Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you look for in a fan-character?
Page 1 of 1